ETC provides technical and engineering support to the ASD(R&E) SDO for workforce modeling, data analysis, assessment and evaluation, and program prosecution. During calendar year 2011, we accomplished the following activities in support of SDO and ASD(R&E):
- Completed initial analysis and design for a comprehensive DoD STEM workforce model
- Established a database to track DoD STEM investments and calculate return on investment (ROI) for building and sustaining the DoD STEM workforce
- Developed innovative approaches to build and sustain the DoD system engineering workforce
- Developed comprehensive taxonomies for DoD STEM fields of study and occupations to shape the present and future technical workforces
- Organized a major National Academies study of DoDís current and future technical workforce needs and the Nationís institutional capacity limitations in meeting those needs
- Organized and led major initiatives at the Service Academies and selected prestigious universities to establish joint autonomous systems and systems engineering programs for graduating seniors
- Represented DoD in the working groups for the White House Office on Science and
Technology Policy (OSTP) Federal Committee on STEM (CoSTEM)
- Aided SDO and ASD(R&E) in establishing the DoD STEM Executive Board and its working group
- Developed a comprehensive strategy for SDO STEM pre-kindergarten through high school (PK-12) investments and program participation
- Developed taxonomies and structures to map DoD STEM occupations to the DoD Science and Technology (S&T) Priorities and to emerging fields (e.g., complexity studies).
- During the calendar year 2012, ETC will continue to support these programs and initiatives, while developing new and innovative ways to characterize, understand, build, shape, and sustain the DoD technical workforce.